Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Dinner with Annie

I had dinner with my friend Annie last night. She lives right in the middle of Hollywood, where crazy people roam the streets. Everyone looks like a character from a movie. Last night, I saw lots of party girls. Looks like a weekend and it was only Tuesday night. The police there ride on horses! I think it's a new thing.

Annie's building is very charming and beautiful, I think movie stars lived there in the 1950's. Here's the main entryway.













She fed me a lovely dinner of olive bread and creamy buttery brie, healthy salad, sardines, tiny sauteed zucchini from Trader Joe's, tiny pickles and olives from a fancy store.











We ate in the courtyard, so pretty on a summer evening.










Annie makes really beautiful machine knitted and hand finished pieces. She's really talented. Here is her yarn shelf. There are lots of arty and crafty things to look at in her home.

She was telling me about part of her artistic philosophy. She calls it Mission Santosa. In a nutshell, it's her ECO philosophy. Eco this-and-that is such a trendy thing right now, it has become a commodity in itself. But she's been doing this for years, using mill end yarn for her creations. It doesn't make sense to throw out all the previous non-eco materials and suddenly switch to using "eco" materials. Here's the long version, in her own words.
I higly support all the crafters out there who are doing the reduce, reuse and recycle thing in their art and life. It's makes sense to me from an eco perspective and also from a money-saving perspective. I love thrift store finds and vintagey things, too, because they really seem to have a sense of history from their previous life. They have a deeper meaning beyond what you see on the surface.

No comments: